Noosa Parks Association is a not-for-profit, member-based organisation set up to protect the natural environment of the greater Noosa-Cooloola region while encouraging genuinely sustainable human behaviour and built environments.
The organisation issues a bi-monthly newsletter (digital and print versions) to keep members up to date on direct-action projects, public education forums and campaigns, and social activities such as hiking and birding.
I live in this beautiful area and often attend the public forums, so when the call for a volunteer newsletter editor came in March 2019, I gladly raised my hand.
What I do
For each edition, I seek contributions from about 15 people and track all responses, working to a cut-off date.
I copyedit each article in MS-Word and liaise with the author on any material changes or queries.
For the digital newsletter, here’s what I do:
- Create a Mailchimp campaign and lay out the content in a Mailchimp template.
- Apply web-writing techniques for readability and findability.
- Resize/crop supplied images. Where necessary, I source additional images from the public domain (Creative Commons licence) or use my own images. I upload images to Mailchimp and add alt-text and captions.
- Run a number of tests to make sure it looks good on all device types.
- Upload the latest member database to Mailchimp and send the newsletter.
For the print newsletter, here’s what I do:
- Copy and paste the digital content into MS-Word.
- Strip out embedded hyperlinks, replacing them with URLs.
- Make longer pars, and generally remove some white space.
- Add page headers, footers and page numbers.
- Convert the Word doc to PDF, which is then printed and distributed by mail.