Writing about science
I specialise in writing about science for people who are not scientists.
I believe it’s better to challenge people with the ideas, not the language.
My science writing takes many forms, in both digital and print media, including:
- research summaries, policy briefs, case studies and explainers for funders, decision-makers and policymakers
- feature stories, blog posts, web content and newsletter articles for interested lay people
- interpretive text for visitors to museums, galleries and visitor centres
- media releases for journalists
- social media posts for your followers.
Writing stories about science
Stories are the best way to communicate your science because we are hardwired to remember stories.
I can help you find a good story in your research.
I can draft the story from material that you supply, such as a journal article or a research report, and augment this with further research if necessary.
Phone interviews are great for unearthing twists to a story, clarifying understanding, and getting perspectives expressed in everyday words.
Afraid of your work being dumbed down?
As Albert Einstein said: “As simple as possible… but not simpler”.
That’s what I strive for.
What’s the story in your science?
Contact me for a confidential chat about your needs.